Places traveled through

Places traveled through

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Grand Canyon

I still remember looking out to the San Fransisco Peaks and being awed.  It still holds true today.  As we drove back down to Flagstaff to take our friend Bob's suggestion of driving up Highway 180 to the Grand Canyon, I once again found myself staring at this beautiful mountain.  I may never climb it, but that's okay.  To stand in it's shadow is enough for me!
San Fransisco Peaks

Having lived in Arizona for 7 years, I've been to the Grand Canyon a couple of times before at different times of the year.  Summer seems to bring tourists from every part of the world, and why not?  That's a great time to come and enjoy the wonder of this magnificent place.  Winter can bring cold temperatures and blowing winds that sting your face and make your eyes tear as you try to take in all the wonder it has to offer, as my cousins and I learned years ago during our winter visit here.  Today was actually a good day for a visit.  The temperatures were in the 40's, a bit chilly, but not cold.  There was no wind and it wasn't too crowded.  A perfect day for Paul's first visit!



From Paul:
I’ve been in the USA for over 25 years, and never seen the Grand Canyon. But my older brother visited the USA one time, a few years ago, and saw the Grand Canyon. It was on his bucket list.
I visited the Grand Canyon today and … WOW! It was an awesome sight. I just HAD to go to the very edge and feel the fear of the distance below me. Yes, I’ll admit it, my legs got very shaky when I was within two feet of a cliff edge that dropped down a mile below me. Who wouldn’t?

It's a long way down!
 This was an experience … to see one of the natural wonders of the world … up front and personal.

Ever wonder how the Grand Canyon got here? 

We spotted this going on behind a closed fenced area!






Thanks for stopping by ...
Paul, Jo and Charlie

 

2 comments:

  1. Grand Canyon is still as beautiful as I remember it! Just gorgeous! Keep warm the two of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, it was beautiful. Paul scared the daylights out of me by standing so close to the edge! Keeping warm in Nevada at the moment! Sending well wishes on the new grand-baby. Keep us up to date on the arrival!

    ReplyDelete