Places traveled through

Places traveled through

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Stubborn Bastard

Before going into surgery, Paul put his hand on my cheek and said " Don't worry, I'm a stubborn bastard " and  "I want that to be the name of the next blog"

So here it is.... The next blog.

Paul is out of surgery.  The deteriorated newly built esophagus was removed, what could be salvaged was replaced back into the abdomen.  The deterioration actually ate through to his Larynx, but there was not any long term damage.  Thank goodness they did surgery today, if they had waited the stomach acid would have eaten it's way through to the windpipe.

Paul will be kept paralyzed and sedated for the next twenty four hours.  He will be on a venterlator to assess his breathing.   The surgeon said the next forty-eight hours are critical.  Once again we wait and let go of things we do not and can not control.

I hesitate to post anything else because I prefer to give Paul time to get through this period and post later.

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful support and good wishes, reading them has given me strength to endure the emotional roller coaster of this small detour on our journey in life.

Thank you all for being part of our journey, you all make our lives enriched and blessed.

Hugs,
Jo and one Stubborn Bastard

10 comments:

  1. will keep the prayers coming.. Love you both God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 18, 2013

    Dear Mrs. Bastard,

    The Stubborn part doesn't surprise me a bit...he must've gotten that from YOU! :)You n Paul never cease to amaze me...I know this is such a "up-in-the-air" time in your lives, but fast forward a few years and we'll be drinking a nice (really expensive, what the hell) glass of wine reminiscing about Paul's surgeries "years ago" . :)For now, please know that James n I are thinking of you both and more than willing to help with anything we possibly can, although we're 8 hours away. (Or 2, we will fly baby if you need us to!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy SchaefferJune 18, 2013

    Thoughts and prayers for Paul and you Jo! God will get you through this trying time! Supposedly he never gives us more than we can handle! I think you've both have been through enough now!!!!! Hopefully now the real healing will begin! We keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Rest up while you can! I hope there is someone there with you for support too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 19, 2013

    You will be in our thoughts and prayers. I will pass on this information to Ed and the rest of your "adopted family" LOL You both have been missed at camp. -allysin-

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJune 19, 2013

    You and Paul are in my prayers.
    Jane Kan Battles (former colleague at Intervet)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 19, 2013

    * . . (\. *** /) * .*.*.*
    * . * ( .\(_)/ ) * * .YOU'RE
    * . * (_ /|.. _) . *.* IN
    * . * . /___\.. * . .* MY
    . * . * . * . . * *..PRAYERS
    Get Well soon please, hugs Pablo

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 19, 2013

    Get well soon! We need all the Stubborn Bastards and Beautiful Ladies we can get in ths world! Miss you both!
    Ironass

    ReplyDelete
  8. don't worry about posting - as much as I appreciate knowing how things are going... Paul's health is more important than updates about it. :) Take time to take care of yourself, too.
    You're in my prayers.
    Elizabeth from Lansing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many well wishes and Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousJune 29, 2013

    My sweet Joy/Jo,
    Know you both are in our thoughts and prayers, keep up the courage and the fight!
    All my our love!
    Uncle Ed, Uncle Stephen, and the hearts!

    ReplyDelete