Places traveled through

Places traveled through

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thanksgiving Day... Every Day

Thanksgiving Day.

I spent the morning visiting across the miles, via cell phone, Skype and Face Time with friends and family.
With the technology of today I was able to be part of a lazy morning bed cuddle with my grandson, joined in the making of Challah bread  from scratch, be a shoulder to lean on and a comforter to someone who is part of a journey to a very special person who is nearing the end of their physical journey in life and share laughter and hugs with friends.  I even managed to catch a part of the Thanksgiving Day Parade!  All of this before 2:00 in the afternoon.  I was later blessed to spend the evening with friends where there was shared memories, new faces and laughter.

I took some time and looked at Face Book.  So many people giving thanks a questioned popped into my head.  Why do we wait for a Holiday to give thanks.  I understand that we are Thankful on a daily basis, but do we express it?  Do we tell the person bagging our food in the grocery store "Thank you"?   Or how about the person on the other side of a work phone call?  Okay, so we may say it, but do we truly mean it?  Are you really thankful for the Gas Station attendant behind the counter, or do you feel they are just doing their job?  What about the person who picks up your garbage, reads your electric meter or delivers your mail?  A few years ago I made it a point to look at the name tags of anyone who is doing a "job" for me, the teller at the bank, the cashier at the grocery store, the guy at Best Buy who helped me figure out my new phone that has way to many options and buttons for me to understand, and said  "Thank you Theresa for ringing up my groceries" "Thank you Albert for helping me figure out this button"   You would be surprised at some of the reactions.  Most are genuinely grateful that you recognize them as a person, some look a bit confused, thinking they should know you from somewhere else, others look a little perplexed.  But all smile.  All are validated that they are part of my journey whether they realize it or not.

If you give a smile, the simplest act of kindness, most times you will get one in return.  Now I do know there are some people in this world who are on the "Woe is me train" and no matter what you do they are going to be negative, mean and no matter what you do, it is never enough.  You know what I do with them?  I smile, thank them and refuse to carry the burden they are trying to give me.

So even though Thanksgiving Day is over.  Why not try to carry the spirit of it everyday in a different way, by simply acknowledging that everyone around you deserves to be thanked for crossing your path on this journey in life.  We all influence each other as we walk down the path of life maybe a little bit of thanks will help someone over the bumps in the road.

Jo






2 comments:

  1. What a meaningful post. Almost all of us can use a reminder like this. Thanks. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so right babygirl we do not say thank you and mean it enough i think the older we get the more we see these things love you and think of you often love you

    ReplyDelete