Places traveled through

Places traveled through

Monday, July 1, 2013

Post Third Surgery

Paul was in surgery for five hours.  Dr. DeMeester, the surgeon said that when they got in to look at the trachea, they found that it had deteriorated more.  It could have been because of the 5 weeks of radiation and the infection, he was not sure.  They took a piece of muscle from his back and another piece of muscle from his heart area.  They cut a few pieces of his ribs and patched up the holes in the trachea.

Paul is on a ventilator to help aid his breathing.  After surgery he seemed okay.  The surgeon stated he does not want Paul to be in any pain tonight and that he wants him to rest.  They will do a bronchscope in the morning to look at the inside and see how it is healing.

I went out of the room to get dinner and made a couple of phone calls.  When I came back Paul seemed out of sorts. He is having a hard time communicating because he can not talk.  Writing at the moment is a laborious task. 

As I was holding his hand I asked them to take his temperature.  It was 101.4.  So they put some ice under each armpit.  Paul seems to be struggling.  I asked him if he was in pain, he shook his head "No".  I asked him what was wrong.  He pointed to his head and his heart.  I asked him if he was worried, he shook his head yes.  I told him not to worry, we'll get through this.  He is clearly mentally stressed about all that has happened over the last three weeks.  I feel the hardest thing, is tat he knows he still needs another surgery to reconstruct an esophagus so that he will be able to eat normally.

He seems very agitated tonight compared to when he returned from surgery.  It is almost as if the reality of everything has hit him full force.  They have given him something to help calm him down and I will keep watch throughout the night.  All i can do is continue to express my love to him and enforce that "We will be okay"

I am praying that he finds peace tonight so that he can rest his mind and body.

I have hung up all the cards he has received so that he can look at them and draw good energy from them.

Thank you for the continued prayers, positive energy and love.
Jo

4 comments:

  1. AnonymousJuly 02, 2013

    Things will be better in the morning, Jo, for both of you. The rising of the sun each day is no more a miracle than the love you and Paul share. It, and that love, will see you both through these hours and days. Remember something about the sun. It can burn and hurt at times, but it also heals and refreshs and it is the means through which things grow and live and strengthen. Get him into the sun as soon as you can. It will help. In the meanwhile, get yourself to a window or to a sidewalk outside. Spend just 5 minutes intentionally breathing in strength and light and let yourself feel the warmth of the sun. It always helps me. I believe it will help you and eventually, both of you, too. You have our continued support, love and prayers.

    Pennie and Robin Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 02, 2013

    r with you guys in heart and spirit angels are hovering over u both just keep reaching for them all our love. drink from gods fountain it never gets empty love toni and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 02, 2013

    I'm sure it's feeling like it will never end. So sorry this has been such a struggle. Next year this time, you both will be enjoying the summer. Best wishes. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our prayers are being said for you and Paul.. As we worked outdoors today slitting and stacking wood, each piece of wood that I stacked I added another prayer for you and Paul.. I filled a row and a half in the wood bin, will do more wood tomorrow and more prayers.. Love, Hugs and Blessings sent across the miles. I love you both. May God shower you and Paul with His love and healing blessings.. Toni and Bill

    ReplyDelete