Places traveled through

Places traveled through

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day ... A Memory of Mom

 It's been 3 years since mom left this earth. Mother's Day and so many memories fill me with a love that can not be compared to any other love.  A mother's love is different, it is unconditional, accepting.  Well, at least my mother's love was that kind of love.  I learned from her, that no matter what your children do or say, you love them, because they are your children.  But today is not about children, it's about mothers and especially my mother.


It was while visiting her on the farm, not long after my dad had died, she and I had come to a turning point in our relationship. I drove to her Wisconsin home from Chicago, my four kids in tow, for a weekend visit.  After the kids were safely tucked into bed and asleep, mom and I went out for a walk under the moonlight.  I am especially fond of moonlit nights for many reasons, one being that they remind me of my mom.  But that in its self is another story.  After walking around the pond and checking the chickens, mom and I sat at the old worn out wooden picnic table, under the massive trees beyond the big garden where my brother had built a tripod grill over a small cooking pit.  It must have been Spring because I do not remember it being hot or cold and there were no mosquitoes. We sat there watching the moon rise up over woods beyond the neighbors plowed field and talked.  We talked about everything, her life, my life, children, love, families.  I remember feeling at peace with her on a level I had never experienced before.  As we sat and continued talking, she decided that we needed a drink and a bit to eat.   I was sent to get the bottle of Polish Blackberry Brandy hidden in a drawer of her bedroom dresser, 2 glasses, a couple hamburgers from the freezer, bread and plates.  Off I went, back to the house to fetch what momma ordered.  By time I came back, she had a fire going and she was smiling.  We cooked the burgers over the open fire, enjoyed a drink and talked more.  I remember being sent back to the house for ice and to check the kids.  We talked and laughed, sharing stories, feelings and a love that is beyond any words that I can write here.  By the time we were done the moon was well above us and the bottle of brandy half gone. I think this was the first time mom and I shared a drink, just the two of us, as neither of us are big drinkers.  For the life of me, I can not recall the exact conversations, but I can recall the feeling of shared love.  It fills me, even now, after all these years.  

After that visit I saw my mom for being who she was.  She was not just my mom, she was this extraordinary woman who bound an entire family together.  Not just her family, but every family that came in contact with her.  She was the oldest of 13 children and took that position very seriously.  She was an anchor for everyone in the family.  Her opinions were valued, her advice sought and her never ending love filled all those around her.  She had a heart that never stopped giving.  I watched her many times give when she didn't have it to give.  Her door and home was always open to anyone who needed a cup of coffee, a meal or a place to spend the night and many times longer.  No one ever left left her presence empty handed or empty hearted.  Momma just had a way of making everything okay.

 
I can go on and on with memories and stories, but I lack the ability to convey them with words that would do them justice.  So instead I’ll just post a few pictures.

A family picnic
Yosemite National Forest

On the beach of the Pacific Ocean
Still teaching me the finer points, sewing lessons at 87 year old. 

88th Birthday surprise
One of my favorites... Look at that smile... Feel the love!
Cocoa beach on the Atlantic Ocean
89 years old and still dancing the night away!

Christmas 2009
 I was blessed with being with her during her final weeks.
The last picture, March 30, 2010, two days before mom died
I love you mom, Happy Mother’s Day

2 comments:

  1. I understand... May her love give you comfort and may you feel her reach out and hug you when you really need that hug. It may come in many forms and unsuspected places or through others in your live. Keeping an open heart may be a dangerous thing to some people but alas it really means it is receptive to real love. For me it is when I see a butterfly. Always seems to be one just when I need a sign.

    Happy Mothers Day Sending hugs to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks , hugs back at both of you.
    You are an amazing woman, thank you for being part of my journey.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete